Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Petrichor

Yes that’s the smell of rain on dry ground.

On the parched mind of mine,
when there is a downpour of shine.
out come such lines.

Woven on my countenance,
a distributed rainbow too can be seen.
Its colour dispersed across my cheeks,
And the arc inverted over my lips.

How to name it?
The “it” here is my blog.
The answer lay in the word “Petrichor”.
A perfect Greek word,
for this Indian’s English lines.

This guy who wrote the above lines did not exist 21 years ago.
All my past, all I’ve been is this guy who would manipulate sentences spoken into funny jokes.
Always believed that dreaming and writing was a jobless poet’s job.
Used to wonder how a person can be so damn unproductive.

I guess the word “unproductive” gave me away. Hmm..trueI’ve been an engineer all along.
It’s in the genes you see.
Never been the kind who wrote anything.

@ College as an electronics and communications engineer, I engineered stuff with diodes, transistors and resistors.
@ Work as software engineer, am engineering stuff with code.
Even when I started writing, I did not write it, I engineered it. That was the first time, I saw the product. “Saw” is not the word. “Felt” is the word. (Psst..Psst..you know what…I was thinking of calling the blog “Felt Pen”….It was only later did I that realise such a word did not exist. It's “Felt tipped pen”. How ignorant of me?). I felt the product. Not a tangible one though. As a friend of mine once told, "it is better left untold".
The experience was in one word, satisfying -as bold as it gets
.

I have not written much. I don’t know if I will continue to either. The irony is, I am being a true modern civil engineer here (not Mr.Roark). I am building (note the word) a home here, totally ignorant of the future inhabitants, totally unanswerable to the question that I ask myself “Will there be any inhabitants at all?”.

Coming to the point, if I was a true poet / writer (I doubt if I can even imagine being one. That explains it. When I cannot even imagine, how can I be one? Keyword: Imagine – (effect of reading technical papers) – and this braces inside braces funda tells you how much of a mathematician I am), I would have named my blog Petrichor.

Looking at the above sentence philosophically, an engineer / mathematician lives inside “(“ and “)”, and the poet…???

Kripa……Where have you been hiding this philosopher in you? Or is this too a manifestation of the poet? ..... I am getting goosebumps.

Continuing from where I left, ya…..My past surfaced as I was typing the name of my blog in the small text box (it did not feel like me) and I decided to call it “2 minute doodles”. (I guess people who know me, will be able to relate to it better when I say “my past”).

Mr.so-called-writer told Mr-so-called-engineer, “Hey, you took your space with the font-size of 24 alrite...Better put me at least in the area with a font of 12”..So that explains the reason behind this blog.

I feel like a person enjoying the Multiple Personality Disorder.

Let’s see what future holds…

5 comments:

Brood Mode said...

The page itself looks damn good!

musafir said...

A mystery solved.
Now the jigsaw
Fits in neatly.
The light shines through today.
The clouds disperse.
The rivers shimmer in joy.
The light shines through today.

Where were you all this while?
It's time to imagine.
Time to know 'him'.
The sky is not without majesty.
The rain not without odour.
May your petrichor find its way
To me...
Where were you all this while?

Welcome buddy!!...been waiting a long, long time.

Unknown said...

@ broodmode: What is an engineer without an aesthetic sense? Thanx.

@ musafir:
I expected that from you. But not such a good one.
"Where was I all this while?"
I was not far behind was I. I wanted to be behind. Felt it was more apt.

"The sky is not without majesty"... I am a proud grinning lion after reading that. I have never assocaited sky with majesty, so I took it that the word was for me...hehe.

I did not know I was the last piece in the puzzle. You feel settled now don't you. Thanks buddy.

Anonymous said...

Ladies and Gentlemen boys and gals ,children of all ages, finally Kripa has gotten into the world of blogging. Yeah man one thing you could be sure after reading ur blog is, U have done helluva lot of studiez during ur engineering(which is kinda true, am sure people who know u in college would agree with it).Hmmm you riding on something oops ya i remember a wave.Happy riding dude (of course i meant the wave of GREATER AMPLITUDE)

Unknown said...

@ avisesh:
"U have done helluva lot of studiez during ur engineering(which is kinda true, am sure people who know u in college would agree with it)"
Look who is talking. Hahahahahah!.
Oooooyy Avi, I did not expect that out of you. So you are trying to hold that geek image for me, is it? It is time the image was broken.
Why are you trying to hide the true kripa from the world?
With regard to the "About Me", it was just an immature anology that I managed to coin.
I see a lot of harmonics in the "WAVE" of yours (w.r.t ur comment). To make things clear, its filtered, To be precise it is band pass filtered. ;-). Shoo Shoo...that will be the last time. No more.
A small tip: There is a back-space key on you keyboard (it pretty large too). If you type something that is not appropriate or not intended, kindly delete it using that key. You don't have to waste time typing "oops" and continuing. And for you kind info, I am the wave here and I am riding the crest. SARCASTIC TWISTED DOG. So u've had ur share of fun for the day huh!