Monday, May 23, 2005

Short & Straight

He brushed himself up,
and peeked at the mirror.
The mirror could view itself on him.
He was ready.

Turning to his mate,
He gave an approving nod.
It was play time.

The playground was dark,
The drizzle had moistened it.
I could hear him say,
With a glint in his eye,
“Just the way I like it”.

Briskly, he started warming up.
While his collaborator was busy,
Grazing, evaluating,
and plotting a plan,
that they were going to execute.

They entered the field together.
The beast in him came to life.
He was a juggernaut on a mission,
with a partner in crime,
who was more than willing to abet.

Making all the necessary moves expertly,
He cut across the field swiftly,
grinning as he progressed.
The more he advanced,
The more he gleamed.

As the boundaries drew near,
He slowed down.
Cognizant of the end,
he knew he had to finish,
all the good work done,
with an expert touch.

Through with the game,
pleased with his crusade,
he retired,
back to his bunker.

He was smiling,
mouth wide open,
with his teeth,
reflecting and radiating light.

He was always a winner.
And symbolizing him,
with fingers,
I could see that,
he depicted victory.


You might ask,
Where was his ally all this while?

That fellow was busy running,
ironically ahead of the victor,
giving him all the opportunities,
to do the damage.

You might ask,
Where was I all this while?

I was a silent spectator,
sitting right under the playground,
waiting impatiently,
to hear some understandable* music,
from the radio at the hairdresser’s.

*My language competencies are: English, Hindi & Tamil.
And it kept playing Kannada songs, followed by Kannada songs, followed by Kannada songs…

5 comments:

Brood Mode said...

Great one. i didnt guess what it was till the very end.

Anonymous said...

Dam Neat da
I should say it war hair rasing and got to my head

Anonymous said...

Good one. Keep it coming...

musafir said...

Ah, now I know how it feels to be a bulb with a shot fuse :)

Unknown said...

@ broodmode & musafir:
Well I acutally thought I gave it away at a few places. (esp. at the place where it is italicized)...Good for me that you didn't guess.